Tuesday 24 August 2010

戀愛通告 (Love in Disguise)


















This movie was directed and written by 王力宏, in addition to him being the lead actor. In general, it's about 杜明漢, a big celebrity who donned a disguise and registered into a university using a fake identity -- 阿德 -- in order to find 宋曉青, a girl who made him see butterflies -- literally -- with her guzheng-playing. The general plot was predictable, but it was interesting enough that we'd still wanna sit through the whole thing to see how everything would fall in place.

I like how this movie is centered around Chinese music, since it sorta represents what Leehom is all about; he's always been big on the whole Chinese identity thing. I think the best part of the movie is the humour. I remember laughing out loud quite a lot when I was watching, that a few times I had to cover my mouth and take a deep breath to stop myself lol ^^;;. I find it amusing that certain scenes and dialogues were indirectly mocking the media and entertainment industry in general; Leehom must have gotten a bit of a kick out of that XP. The actors did a good job, I feel, especially the actress acting as Joan, the manager. 劉亦菲, the lead actress, is very pretty :). Oh and I realised that 魏志柏, 阿德's sidekick, is that guy who always acts silly in 康熙來了 LOL! My favourite scene is the one where 阿德 and 魏志柏 played their instruments in front of the Principal; it was amazing and downright hilarious at the same time XD.

Now for the not-so-good points.
1. I think the development of romantic feelings on the guy's side was pretty clear, but I hardly saw any on the girl's side. The change in emotions just seemed quite abrupt to me. The problem wasn't with 劉亦菲's acting though; I think her character just didn't get enough focus and screen-time that it should have been given to develop.
2. The 知音 concept was interesting, but at the end the girl had visions as she listened to him singing, so does that mean that she'd only see those when she was in love with him? I mean, she had heard him play music and even sing before, but she didn't see them. If so, then does that mean that he fell in love with her at first bump/sight/listen? o__o
3. The fans cheered when the couple hugged on stage. That was the most unrealistic thing in the whole movie, 'cos not a single one was screaming, "NOOO!" and raining tears of blood. LMAO.
4. I don't like how all the songs in the movie come from Leehom's newest album. I mean, they sound good and I know they're all his work and everything, but it just comes across as a huge publicity for his album, which actually doesn't even need the publicity in the first place 'cos it's like, Wang Leehom, yo.

Overall, the movie was pretty good. It was definitely worth the price of the movie ticket. Predictable plot and some unrealistic, fairytale-like scenes aside, musically it was very pleasant on the ears and it was great entertainment. The way the scenes were cut didn't feel choppy or anything too, so for the first time directing a movie, Leehom did a good job!


WARNING: start of fangirly mode.

Wang Lee Hom is SO GOOD-LOOKING! Like, seriously. I was actually biting my lips throughout the first 15 minutes or so of the movie to prevent myself from breaking out giggling like a crazed fangirl. Which doesn't even make sense 'cos I don't consider myself a Leehom fan in the first place. I think during most part of the movie my face was in a permanent broad grin too, LOL. I mean seriously, how can anyone be that handsome?! And he totally does not look 34. No, actually he does look like he's in his early 30s, but a damn fine one at that. I think if I were a guy, after watching the movie I'd straight away buy that Garnier face soap or whatever products Leehom used HAHAHA. He's like, freakin' unreal. SERIOUSLY.

-END of ranting-


I think I'll be listening to 你不知道的事 for at least a couple of more days ^^. And I'll probably buy the DVD of this movie when it comes out, just to see Leehom's handsome face. HAHAHAHA.