Monday 21 June 2010

spring cleaning.

I'm going to be moving into a new house at the end of the month, so I was clearing up my junk -- dusty textbooks, files, and more books. Because of my family's stringent personality trait, we had previously kept even books from Secondary School. However, because we're moving, we have to throw away some in order to not have so much baggage to move. I was supposed to "sort" my old textbooks today, and with one look, I told my parents that I want to throw everything away. It's not as if I'm gonna be a teacher in the future, and I don't know anyone who might need them, so why bother keeping them, right? In the end, because of my mum's nagging that my brother might want to teach tuition in the future, I set aside the Science and Math books from upper secondary. For myself I took a Chinese dictionary, a book about Chinese measure words, and Charlotte's Web.

Clearing my JC files wasn't as easy. As before, I had decided that I want to throw everything away, but my father insisted that I take out all the notes and keep the files for future use. But honestly, I really don't want to. Those files aren't just files; they contain two years of memories that associate them with a particular subject, memories that relate to a certain stage in my JC life, memories that I'd rather not remember. Even taking those thick stacks of notes out made me feel a tinge of melancholy, thinking about how earnestly I had been flipping through those notes when I was mugging for exams, and now, how useless all those things are. Can't I step into University on a new blank page? Right. Talking 'bout University, since I'm gonna be studying Business in the future, my parents are insisting that I keep the notes of at least one subject; that only subject I studied that is related to Business. That stack of notes was the first one I had wanted to dispose of, actually. And who knows, even if they make me keep it, after we move, it might just mysteriously disappear from the storeroom.

Joke of the day: I found a dead baby cockroach in one of my JC files. Guess which subject it is! HAHA, the ironies of life never fail to amuse me.