Tuesday 22 January 2008

play my song!

I finally got a hold of Minwoo's Explore M album last week. It's such an awesome album and his best yet; every track is good (I'll just say this once 'cos I don't want to repeat 12 times) and Minwoo's style of music just resonates through the songs, beats and vocals. He writes and produces most of his songs now, and that's always a plus. And his vocals have improved, too! My favourite tracks are no. 7 and 8, by the way.









1. Showdown (feat. Eric)
A dance song that's somehow expected to appear in Minwoo's album.

2. The M Style (Feat. Tablo from Epik High)
This song sounds like Junstin Timberlake's Sexyback in some ways. But the biggest difference is that, while I don't like Sexyback, I like this song. And I don't think I've mentioned before that Tablo is one of my favourite rappers. =)

3. Boy Friend
I don't know much about song genres, so I'll just say that this is an R&B song. At least, that's what I think it is. While Girl Friend in the previous album was a ballad, this song is quite upbeat and catchy.

4. Stomp
The first single of the album. To be honest, the first time I heard it, I thought it sounded too much like Bump. But after more listens, it's actually different. There are wolf-ish sounds in the background, lol.

5. La Noche Bonita
From the title, you'd know that this song sounds a bit Spanish (or some Latin country). I think it's the beat and the percussion. And can I say that Minwoo sounds sexy while he's singing "sexy girl.."? lol.

6. AM 07:05
It's a ballad-y, soothing song (you'd find that there are only a few real ballads in Minwoo's albums).

7. Play My Song (Feat. Tiger JK)
One of the two songs that I rated 4 stars at first (now every song's rated 5 stars lol) 'cos I thought it was weird. But after I listened to it the 2nd and 3rd time, I realised that I couldn't stop listening to it. It's so freakin' ADDICTIVE, I have no need for drugs anymore. If you see my bobbing my head up and down in the streets some time, then I may actually be listening to this song.

8. 너뿐이라고 (Untouchable Part II)
A ballad; Minwoo sounds emotional here, so much so that all the "no!" at the end sounds like they weren't planned; like he just shouted out of the agony.

9. Pretty Woman
Another ballad-y song that showcases Minwoo's soft vocals.

10. One Last Cry
One of my favourites in the album; an R&B song.

11. L.O.V.E
I don't know what to say. =P

12. My Child (98.03.24)
Somehow I find this song cute. xD


MVs from the album:
Stomp
The M Style


I feel like doing a long-overdue post on Minwoo, since I'm on it already.


















Firstly, Minwoo's one of the vocalists of Shinhwa (duh), and the lead dancer; he choreographs some of their dance steps. To be honest, in my opinion, Minwoo's the best dancer. Asian one, at least. In terms of technique, Jang Woo Hyuk (from H.O.T) is probably slightly stronger, but Minwoo's dance can be powerful/hot/cute/whatever he wants it to be. His freestyle dancing is always full of creative moves. And I actually wanted to learn how dancing 'cos I wanted to know how to dance like him. In short, his dancing is enjoyable to watch.

In terms of singing, Minwoo's voice isn't exactly powerful, but he conveys his emotions well in ballads that you feel like dying when you imagine the pain he's going through and in dance songs, he just makes you wanna dance. His singing technique is good too, but I'm not sure about his range.

As an artist, he's a true professional who takes his work very seriously. I once got a scare when I watched an episode of Battle Shinhwa, 'cos that was the first time of me seeing a totally serious, no-nonsense side of Minwoo. But that episode made me respect him; he's not just some celebrity whose aim is to make money. Also, he's a natural performer who knows how to work the crowd.

In terms of looks, let's face it, he's not exactly tall and dark. At first glance, he's also not very good-looking. But however he looks or whatever his height is, if you've known Shinhwa long enough you'd be mad not to admit that he's hot. As in, he can be really cute, he's got a nice jawline, appropriate abs and most importantly, he shines when he's on stage. By the way, have I said before that he looks good in absolutely ANYTHING? Again, I'm saying this now 'cos I don't wanna repeat it later. xD

Now for the videos!

MVs:
Biya
Just One Night
If You..
Last First Kiss
Bump
Girl Friend
Sometimes
Sweet Sound
So Sick

If you don't want to see all of them, at least watch the MV for Girlfriend. The song itself is awesome; so SAD and Minwoo's PAIN just resonates through the whole song in his voice even when you don't know what he's singing. The recollection scenes in the MV are sweet but the ones after the break-up was so PAINFULLY SAD. Click here for the MV with the lyrics translation; I was almost grieving when I watched it. T.T "I hate you with all my pain" *shudders* This song was the one that introduced me to Minwoo as a solo artist (even though it's from the 2nd album), and still one of my favourite songs of his. And it doesn't hurt that he looks downright great in the MV too. =)


LIVE performances:
Untouchable + If You..
Bump + Battle remix
Bump (1 2)
Girl Friend
Overdoze
Stomp
너뿐이라고 (Untouchable Part II)
^from the Explore M showcase; I'm reminded why this is (one of) my favourite track off the album. MUST WATCH! (just watch the whole showcase lol)


I only have time for a music post for now. There are too much good videos of Shinhwa, but I'll have to go and dig. xP