Thursday 3 December 2009

musings.

Trust. I think that is the most important thing in any human relationships. There are only a mere handful of people I can call "close friends", and I trust them a lot. I'd believe that a white sheet of paper is black if they say so; I'd sign any contract if they need me to be their guarantor for something; I'd even trust them with my life, because I know that I can, and I hope they know that they can trust me with theirs.

But for trust to be built, there has to be honesty. Because while it may take ages to build trust, it only takes the tiniest seed of doubt to shatter it. Because being stuck in a relationship where one is being honest but is being constantly lied to, is tiring, and it makes one feel stupid. Because lies and more lies have to be told to cover up one's one lie, and even the liar will eventually feel tired of trying to cover up the loopholes.

That's why I don't like to lie. I'm not that bad of a liar, but I don't lie, unless I have to. I don't like to act differently to how I feel. When I lied, I'd wish for the person to find out that I was lying; when I faked a smile, I'd make sure that the smile looked fake.

I hate being told by anyone, "You are supposed to be (like this), so you aren't supposed to (do that)." Because even I don't know myself that well; sometimes I'm surprised at my own reactions to and how I feel about certain things. So seriously, you don't have any right to tell me how I'm supposed to be, and what I can or cannot do. Because you don't know me as well as you might think. But my close friends can, for they might actually know me better than myself, and I trust that they'd say whatever they say for my own good. I believe they would frankly tell me if they disagree with the way I do certain things, slap me when I do something wrong, and lend me their ears or shoulder when I need them to.

And I am really, really thankful to have these friends :).