Wednesday 26 May 2010

SS501 - Destination












HOLYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY. Finally, the long-awaited mini album! It only consists of 4 main tracks, which is really little, even less than Rebirth, but it's a very solid release; all the songs are great. Both the first and second tracks are remakes of English songs previously released by other artists, which is disappointing, but that doesn't make the songs less awesome. The boys sound amazing, and somehow, they sound more.. together here, like they're really singing as ONE :). Moreover, mostly we hear beautiful instruments and very minimal autotune, which is great news :D. There are many English phrases here and there, but there's no bad Konglish and they are all grammatically sound, which is good xD. I really wished that they had released a full album, but this mini album is freakin' awesome too. The boys are making a comeback on 4th June; I can't wait :DD!

But I have to get this out of my system: 5 years since debut with only one full (totally awesome) Korean album to their name is DOWNRIGHT RIDICULOUS, DSP; this should be fixed ASAP!


1. Let Me Be The One (그게 나라고..) (That Person Is Me)
An R&B song which sounds soothing and sweet. Love the piano accompaniment. The English phrases in the beginning are by Hyungjoon! Wow he sounds decent ^^. (It's him in the beginning of Love Ya too, by the way!)

2. Love Ya
OMG I LOVE THIS SONG! It's a catchy dance song which sounds almost rock-ish because of the heavy beats. The instruments -- strings and piano -- in the background are so gorgeous *____*. Youngsaeng is awesome with those high notes. Kyujong rapped! He sounds good, I'm surprised ^^. Hyunjoong and Hyungjoon too of course; they're the resident rappers of the group xD. I wonder whose voice that hoarse voice in the chorus is; it sounds like Jungmin. Interesting. Love the layerings near the end! And of course, Hyungjoon's "Andwae~~" at the end is awesome. The teaser for the MV looks very promising too. Baby let me love ya, love ya, love ya~

3. Crazy 4 U
A dance song which would almost feel like a ballad if not for the electronic beats, because of the tempo and piano background. I love the contrast! I like Hyunjoong's rapping near the end x). I think Kyujong's voice suits this song the most ^^. This song was already performed quite some time ago during their concert tour, and I love the choreography! (The video is from their Persona concert DVD, where somehow the sound was edited and we can only hear the CD version, but from the fancams we can see that in reality they performed live.)

4. 영원토록 (Forever)
A ballad! Everyone sounds gorgeous, SIGHHH. It's a song that may not sound that special at first, but gets better after each listen. It's a sweet song, that gives me a hopeful feeling somehow :). I love how the song builds on and everyone sings together in the last minute of the song. Youngsaeng wrote the lyrics ^^. I wanna be with you my love~

5. Let Me Be The One (그게 나라고..) (Acoustic Ver.)
In this version the beats are replaced with guitar, and it sounds very nice too :).

6. Love Ya (Instrumental)
Love this! Usually instrumentals sound kinda empty without the voices, but this sounds wonderful, like it can be a stand-alone track in itself.


I LOVE SS501 ♥♥♥♥♥. Please stay five as one forever, guys!