Monday 31 December 2007

Korea or Japan..?

There has been much talk about how DBSK has been spending too much time in Japan, and the Korean fans want them to go back to Korea. Badly. Earlier this year, a lot of fans were disappointed that they didn't attend the MKMF awards show when it was announced before that they would be there. And a lot is an understatement; for you could see red balloons everywhere and somewhere in the middle of the show they stated singing 믿어요 (Cassiopeia never fails to amaze me even though sometimes they make me scared because of their obsessiveness, so much that I might dedicate a post for them some time).

Just to give you the basic information: DBSK has released 3 Korean albums since 2004, but this year they didn't as they spent most the year in Japan, and released a Japanese album instead (they released both a Korean and Japanese album in 2005). There has been some rumour about a 4th Korean album next year, but instead it's been confirmed that they're releasing their 3rd Japanese album in January (I think). Korean fans are complaining that SM is focusing too much on the Japanese market, which resulted in the Korean fans being 'neglected'. But is going back to Korea now the best thing to do?

Let's be realistic. In Japan, DBSK is not big yet. Sure, they have quite a big number of fans and held a successful tour, but they aren't selling that much (they're not topping the charts yet). Why? Well, firstly, they're Koreans. Secondly, in Japan, the type of songs they sing appeal more to the older generation. Then, there's the Johnny Entertainment, which produces best-selling boybands. In comparison, even though DBSK is obviously stronger in terms of singing (yes you can quote me on that), because JE dominates the music shows, these idol groups get much more exposure. All these make it harder for DBSK to break into the market. However, considering the serious lack of promotion, the sales of their recent singles have been good enough (Together got 2nd on the daily Oricon chart). Also, Avex just announced that they're going to invest more on the boys next year, which will at least raise people's awareness of the group and possibly increase their popularity. Note that nothing is certain here.

On the other hand, in Korea, they're already the biggest group. In 2006, they swept all the Daesangs (Best Artist Award) in the four award shows (I can only find three: 1 2 3). They have hordes of fans of all ages, the Cassiopeians, who worship the ground they walk on. Whatever they comes out with sells, whether it's an album, a photobook, or merchandise for concerts (even shirts, towels and pillows lol). I believe that it's not an exaggeration to say that in Korea, they already made history. Other people are already starting to sing their songs (믿어요 / Hug), which further proves the point. So, is there any challenge in coming back to Korea now?

If you ask me what I prefer, them in Japan or Korea, I'd say that both have their up and downsides. In Korea, most of the time they lipsynch to their dance tracks (all SM groups do, I don't know why either) but sing their ballads LIVE. In Japan, no one lipsynches; it's considered a taboo. Since they've been performing so much in Japan, their LIVE performances have gotten even better. Other than the musical aspect, in Korea there are a lot of nice and funny variety shows (Xman, etc) which they could have attended if they were there. Of course some Japanese talk shows are nice and funny too, but Korean ones are generally more enjoyable to watch. That aside, I actually like both their Korean and Japanese songs. They sang the Japanese version for some of their Korean songs, but the originals are always better. The originally-made Japanese songs are good though.

So, bottom line is, I feel that they should continue attacking the Japan market, since I believe that they have more than enough ability, looks and charm to make it big there. But! I do miss their Korean songs, so after the whole promotional period is over, please go back to Korea! And SM, give the boys at least two weeks of break in between, for heavens' sake; they've been working like crazy this whole year.

Pheww I'm done! Sorry I got carried away. xP

Now that I'm done with the ranting, I just have to link you to these (1 2 3) clips of Shinhwa performing. And it's recent. I posted a couple of pictures of them in their concert, but seeing them performing LIVE together is a totally different thing. I can't express how good it is to see them perform together, singing and dancing their songs. In the first clip, I think Minwoo teared up a bit when singing T.O.P. He's such a sweetie, but totally the best performer ever; this guy really knows how to work the crowd. Very stable performance by the group. Really, Shinhwa is literally, a legend. No one can replace Shinhwa, ever (even though I love DBSK as much). I hope DBSK can last as long as them. And for Shinhwa to be together until they are so old that they can't sing anymore or they don't want to sing no more (DBSK too!). Have faith! xD

p.s. I've been posting too much pictures lately; I must be killing your computers. So now I'm not posting any. =D